‘Skinny’ Naughty Nog Recipe
A cocktail is the perfect holiday party accessory, especially if it’s eggnog. However, just like most holiday treats, commercial eggnog isn’t exactly the healthiest cocktail to drink.
According to CNN, “A relatively small four-ounce cup of store-bought eggnog boasts a whopping 170 calories (half of them from fat), nearly 10 grams of fat, and over 70 mg of cholesterol.”
That’s around a quarter of your recommended daily intake of cholesterol. This Naughty Nog recipe tastes amazing and is still under 150 calories.
– 2 large egg yolks
– 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
– 2 cups 1% low-fat milk or soy milk or almond milk
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Ground cinnamon
– Dash of freshly grated nutmeg
– 2 ounces light rum
– 4 egg whites
– 6 cinnamon sticks, for garnish
1. Beat the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl until lightened in color. Add 1/3 cup of the sugar and beat until it dissolves; set aside.
2. Combine the milk, vanilla, and a dash each of the cinnamon and nutmeg in a saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg yolks. Pour everything back into the saucepan. Return to the heat and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the milk mixture reaches 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
4. Stir the rum and put into a clean bowl. Set the bowl in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
5. Just before serving, beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, gradually add the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the chilled mixture. Sprinkle each serving with cinnamon and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
This recipe was originally featured on Momtastic.com.