I normally advise against drinking dark liquor, but here is one place where you might want to bend the rules. Dark rum gives this drink its wonderful flavor and lends a bit of color too, so I give you my blessing to go for it!
– 1¼ ounces dark aged rum (light rum is fine, too)
– ½ ounce orange curacao or other orange or citrus liqueur
– Juice of 1 lime (reserve one half of the lime after juicing it, for garnish)
– ½ ounce sugar-free almond syrup (orgeat)*
– Fresh mint sprig, for garnish
– Cherry, for garnish
Combine the rum, orange curacao, lime juice, and almond syrup with ice in a cocktail shaker and shake well. Strain over ice in a hurricane or goblet glass. Garnish with a mint sprig, the spent lime shell, and a cherry – this is a cute way to represent a palm tree, island, and the setting sun.
*You can buy this at Target and many grocery stores
If you try this Mai Tai, let me know what you think on Twitter!
For more fun, flirty, & guilt-free cocktail recipes, check out Skinnygirl Cocktails by Bethenny Frankel, available on Amazon.com.
The RHONY may be pros at throwing shade, but you can rock these shades all summer long. In honor of National Sunglasses Day, I’m sharing a...READ MORE