I normally advise against drinking dark liquor, but here is one place where you might want to bend the rules. Dark rum gives this drink its wonderful flavor and lends a bit of color too, so I give you my blessing to go for it!
– 1¼ ounces dark aged rum (light rum is fine, too)
– ½ ounce orange curacao or other orange or citrus liqueur
– Juice of 1 lime (reserve one half of the lime after juicing it, for garnish)
– ½ ounce sugar-free almond syrup (orgeat)*
– Fresh mint sprig, for garnish
– Cherry, for garnish
Combine the rum, orange curacao, lime juice, and almond syrup with ice in a cocktail shaker and shake well. Strain over ice in a hurricane or goblet glass. Garnish with a mint sprig, the spent lime shell, and a cherry – this is a cute way to represent a palm tree, island, and the setting sun.
*You can buy this at Target and many grocery stores
If you try this Mai Tai, let me know what you think on Twitter!
For more fun, flirty, & guilt-free cocktail recipes, check out Skinnygirl Cocktails by Bethenny Frankel, available on Amazon.com.
Hey guys – welcome back! The last week of the I Suck At Relationships book tour has been insane! I’ve been to so many amazing cities...READ MORE