Your Snacking Secret: Bread Plus
Nothing irritates me more than the idea that bread is evil because it is made of “carbs,” but it’s just fine to gorge on bacon, cheeseburgers, steak, and eggs. A slice of bread with a good-investment topping is one of my very favorite quick snacks. It’s a great way to satisfy your hunger and keep from getting ravenous later. Sometimes one of these half-sandwiches is all I need in the late afternoon and then I end up having a very light dinner.
It’s not just about what you are eating when it comes to this kind of snack. It’s about serving size. Remember, this is a snack — a slice of something with something on it. The options are endless. Here are some ideas based on some of the snacks I like to eat, but be creative and you’ll discover your own favorites. My basic formula is one slice of bread, something with protein, some kind of vegetable or fruit, and some flavoring for interest:
– Nut butter: peanut, almond, cashew, sesame, with a small spread of fruit preserves or mashed banana.
– A slice of rice or soy cheese and a slice of fresh tomato.
– Tuna, chicken, egg, or tofu salad with lettuce and tomato.
– Lettuce, tomato, and turkey bacon with a light spread of mayonnaise mixed with Dijon mustard and sprinkled with a little salt and pepper.
– Hummus with tomato and sprouts.
– A veggie burger with a slice of soy cheese, lettuce, tomato, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
– A fried or scrambled egg.
This is an excerpt from The Skinnygirl Dish by Bethenny Frankel, available on Amazon.com.
With Labor Day behind us, summer is officially on its way out. My Peanut is getting ready to head back to school, and I’m sure some of you...READ MORE