Wheat-Free Vegan Basil and Mozzarella Pizza
I don’t think there’s one person in this world that doesn’t like pizza. Personally, I’m a big fan of homemade pizza because I can make it with the ingredients I like and use up what I have in my fridge. By substituting in oat flour and vegan mozzarella, the dish becomes much healthier.
– 1 packet self-rising yeast
– 1 cup warm water
– 2 1/4 cup oat flour
– 1/4 cup cornmeal or oat flour (for dusting baking surface or, if needed, to add to dough)
– 1 tablespoon favorite liquid sweetener (I use agave, but honey is also a good sweetener)
– 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon pepper
– 1 teaspoon dried Italian spices
– 1/2 cup marinara sauce
– 2/4 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (or part-skim mozzarella cheese)
– 8 basil leaves, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450-degrees, with or without a pizza stone.
2. In a medium bowl, combine warm water and 1 packet of yeast. Wait 10 minutes until activated.
3. Once activated, add 2 1/4 cup oat flour, sweetener, olive oil, salt, pepper, and Italian spices. Mix with hands to create a ball. If the dough is too dry, add a small amount of water. If the dough is too wet, add the additional oat flour.
4. Sprinkle a pizza peel (paddle) or counter with cornmeal or oat flour. Roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness.
5. Place the dough on pizza stone or sheet pan dusted with cornmeal or oat flour. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until dough is slightly brown and crispy to the touch.
6. Remove crust from oven. Spread the marinara sauce on crust. Sprinkle mozzarella over the marinara sauce and sprinkle basil over cheese.
7. Bake in oven for an additional 10-15 minutes. The cheese should be melted. The pizza crust should be crisp.