Bethenny’s Veggie Chili Recipe
This is one of my favorite recipes from “Naturally Thin” because it always make me feel clean and energized after I eat it. You can use any vegetables that are in season or you can make it to use up leftover vegetables you have sitting around while they are still fresh. This chili also tastes great the next day.
– 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
– 2 cups chopped onion
– 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
– 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or Italian herbs
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 2 (16-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, undrained
– 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
– 5 ounces crumbled veggie sausage or veggie meat crumbles (about 1.5 links of sausage)
1. Over medium-high heat, sauté the onion for 5 minutes or until tender. Add chili powder, cumin, herbs, salt and pepper.
2. Stir in garlic and bell peppers, and cook until the peppers are soft and the garlic is golden but not burned. Add in the crushed tomatoes and beans.
3. Let the chili simmer for at least 10-15 minutes. The longer you simmer, the better the flavor. Pour into bowls and serve!