Vegetable Brown Rice
Sometimes you don’t want dinner to be a big deal. You are a little bit hungry, but you want something light and healthy. My answer: Vegetable Brown Rice with a salad or bowl of soup. If you are eating late, this is a good choice because you won’t be weighed down digesting meat or dairy while you’re trying to sleep. It’s also really easy to make.
– 2 cups raw brown rice
– 4 cups water
– ½ tsp garlic salt
– ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
– ½ cup frozen peas
– 2 tbs olive oil
– ½ tsp salt
– ½ tsp black pepper
– ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds for garnish (toast them in a dry nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until they begin to turn golden brown)
(Serves 8 – Leftovers make a good lunch)
1. Toast the rice by putting it in a large saucepan with no water. Warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice releases a nutty aroma.
2. Add the water and garlic salt, then bring the rice to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add the red bell pepper, peas, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes (taste it after about 30 minutes, then every 5 minutes). Serve warm sprinkled with the toasted sesame seeds.
This is an excerpt from The Skinnygirl Dish by Bethenny Frankel, available on Amazon.com.
I love to talk about business and write about business and be in business. November is National Entrepreneurship Month, which is right up my...READ MORE