I skinnified this quiche for Gossip Girl’s Kelly Rutherford. It’s great for breakfast or lunch and will leave you satisfied.
– 1 store-bought whole-grain frozen pastry shell
– 2½ teaspoons olive oil, divided
– 2 shallots, thinly sliced
– 1 package (about 5 ounces) prewashed fresh baby spinach
– ½ teaspoon salt, divided
– ¼ teaspoon black pepper
– 1 package (4 or 5 ounces) assorted mushrooms
– ⅔ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
– 1 cup soy milk
– 1 egg
– 3 egg whites
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake the pastry shell for 12 minutes or until browned. Remove the shell from the oven and set aside. Leave the oven on.
2. Heat 1¼ teaspoons of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté for 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until wilted. Add ¼ teaspoon of the salt and a dash of pepper. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Using the same pan, heat the remaining olive oil and cook the mushrooms for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are browned on both sides. Remove from the heat. Season them with the remaining salt and pepper.
4. Sprinkle ⅓ cup of the Parmesan cheese over the bottom of the pastry crust. Top with the spinach and mushroom mixtures. In a separate bowl, whisk together the soy milk, egg, and egg whites. Pour into the shell, over the spinach and mushrooms. Top with the remaining Parmesan.
5. Bake the quiche for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top is firm and golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve hot or warm; or make ahead, refrigerate, and serve cold.
This is an excerpt from The Skinnygirl Dish by Bethenny Frankel, available on Amazon.com.
If I’ve learned anything from my time as a Real Housewife of New York City, it’s that these women know how to drink. In honor of Nationa...READ MORE