Your Go-To Guide to Making the Perfect Salad
Salads can be boring or they can make a whole meal. You might think it’s simple to make a salad, but then again, if you never like the salads you make, maybe you aren’t adding the right combination of ingredients to make it special. On the other hand, if you fill a salad up with a pound of meat, cheese, and creamy dressing, you might like the taste but you know it’s not a good investment, and those big salads can contain more calories than a steak dinner.
You can find a happy medium by making a great salad at home. Here’s how to put one together that tastes delicious and is a good investment:
1. Start with leafy greens, such as mesclun mix, arugula, or baby spinach. Put a big handful into a bowl. Use about a handful for each person.
2. Add a few classic raw vegetables, such as grated carrots, sliced cucumbers, pear tomatoes cut in half, or thinly sliced red onions. Use about ½ cup, chopped, for each person.
3. Add one or two gourmet vegetables, such as a few olives, cubes of avocado, chopped artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, or sliced hearts of palm. Use about ¼ cup for each person.
4. Add one or two special ingredients, such as a little bit of finely grated hard cheese (such as Parmesan) or crumbled cheese (such as blue cheese or feta); some dried fruit (such as cranberries or cherries); a few fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries); or a sprinkle of chopped nuts (such as sliced almonds or walnuts). About a tablespoon of each ingredient per person is plenty. You might even need a little less.
5. Drizzle with just a little bit of good dressing (Skinnygirl has several varieties to choose from, and they are BEYOND) or with extra-virgin olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. About a tablespoon or two of dressing per person should be plenty. Toss well to combine everything. Serve and enjoy.
This is an excerpt from The Skinnygirl Dish by Bethenny Frankel, available on Amazon.com.
National Chip and Dip Day is a holiday I can definitely get on board with. Chips and dip will always be the perfect snack combination and a ...READ MORE