Out-of-this-World Healthy Stuffing
This stuffing really is out of this world. It provides you with all the comforting goodness of bread stuffing with just a fraction of the calories and fat that traditional stuffing has. This recipe has a lot of ingredients, but the actual process is easy.
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 3 celery stalks, chopped
– 1 tablespoon oil
– ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper
– 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
– 4 pieces sage, chopped
– 6-8 pieces of thyme, chopped
– ½ pound turkey sausage (choose flavor)
– Splash of good white wine
– 1 teaspoon butter
– 1 pound assorted fresh mushrooms, sliced
– ½ cup dried morels
– ½ loaf regular size 9-grain or multi-grain bread, toasted and chopped
– 1 egg, beaten
1. Sauté chopped onion and stalks of celery in oil in a nonstick pan. Add salt, pepper, and minced garlic.
2. Add sage and thyme.
3. Break turkey sausage into small pieces and sauté in pan. Add a good splash of wine and butter.
4. Add mushrooms and morels (soak and cover them in water until soft), then add them and the mushroom water to the mixture.
5. Add 9-grain or multi-grain bread. If the mixture is dry, add more mushroom water, chicken stock, white wine or another flavored liquid. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add 1 beaten egg to bind.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes and put on broil for last 5 minutes to make top crunchy (make sure to keep an eye on it when broiling).