Lower-Fat Pasta Carbonara
In honor of National Spaghetti Day, I’m sharing one of my favorite pasta recipes. This lower-fat pasta carbonara is beyond.
– 16 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
– ¾ cup plain unflavored soy milk
– 2 whole eggs
– ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
– 1 teaspoon garlic salt, divided
– 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
– 2 tablespoons butter (regular or nondairy)
– 8 slices organic turkey bacon, cooked until crispy and chopped
– 1½ teaspoons red pepper flakes
1. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the soy milk, eggs, parmesan, half the garlic salt, and half the pepper.
2. When the pasta is done, drain it and quickly put it directly into the bowl with the egg mixture. Toss to coat. The hot pasta will cook the eggs. When the pasta is coated with the egg mixture, mix in the butter, turkey bacon, red pepper flakes, and the remaining garlic salt and pepper. Serve immediately.