My Healthy Version of Pad Thai
Pad thai is a great comfort food, but the problem with most restaurant versions is that they are very high in fat, sugar, and starch, and it’s easy to overstuff yourself on the noodles. I decided I needed to create a Skinnygirl version, reducing the oil and eliminating the egg, which doesn’t seem necessary to me.
– 1 package (about 14 oz) Asian rice noodles (the flat, wide, linguini-shaped kind, sometimes called pad thai noodles)
– 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– ½ teaspoon chili paste
– ½ teaspoon fresh minced ginger
– ½ teaspoon fish sauce
– ½ teaspoon honey, warmed so that it is soft
– ½ teaspoon fresh lime juice
– ¼ teaspoon roasted sesame oil
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– ¼ teaspoon black pepper
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
– 1½ tablespoons chopped cashews
1. Cook and drain the rice noodles according to the package directions. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, garlic, chili paste, ginger, fish sauce, honey, lime juice, sesame oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk until blended and pour over the noodles. Toss to coat, top with the cilantro and cashews, and serve warm.
– Instead of rice noodles, try any other Asian or regular long noodle, preferably whole-grain, such as soba noodles, linguini, or angel-hair.
– Instead of chili paste, try chili powder, chili oil, or any hot sauce or chili sauce.
– Instead of fresh ginger, try ¼ teaspoon ground ginger.
– Instead of fish sauce, try additional soy sauce or tamari.
– Instead of honey, try any other natural liquid sweetener.
– Instead of fresh lime juice, try any other citrus juice.
– Instead of toasted sesame oil, try any other cooking or cold-pressed oil, including flavored oils like chili oil, or nut oils.
– Instead of or in addition to cilantro, try chopped fresh Thai basil or regular basil, bean sprouts, or grated or thinly sliced Napa cabbage.
– Instead of cashews, try any other chopped nut.
This is an excerpt from The Skinnygirl Dish by Bethenny Frankel, available on Amazon.com.
Welcome back! Over the past few weeks, I have been answering your dating and relationship questions. I’ve loved sharing all of our relatio...READ MORE