Tacos are quick, fun, and easy to put on the table, and so many ingredients can become taco filling that this is an almost indispensable meal when you have to feed more than just yourself. Even if it’s just you, almost anything you had for dinner last night can probably be made into taco filling. Meat, veggies, cheese… it all works.
“Regular” tacos can be a greasy mess of fried meat, lard-filled beans, and fatty cheese. That’s not how Skinnygirls eat. Plus, the problem with crunchy taco shells is that they are fried. If they ever come out with whole-grain baked taco shells, I’ll be on board, and one fried taco shell is not going to make you gain 5 pounds overnight. However, I prefer soft tacos because you can buy low-fat whole-wheat tortillas. They have more fiber and more volume. Warm them in the microwave and let everyone put the ingredients they like on their own taco.
With this recipe, all the ingredients are good investments, so no matter what people choose, they’ll be getting a good meal.
– 1 pound lean ground turkey
– 2 teaspoons chili powder
– 2 teaspoons ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon garlic salt
– 1 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
– ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
– ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
– ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
– 4 whole-wheat tortillas
– Toppings – Such as ¼ heart romaine lettuce, shredded ~ ½ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese ~ ½ cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese ~ Skinnygirl sour cream (1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice)
1. Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and put over medium heat. Crumble the ground turkey into the pan. Add the next nine ingredients and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon or spatula, until the meat is browned. Set aside.
2. Wrap the tortillas in a towel and heat in the microwave for 15 to 30 seconds. To serve, put the meat, tortillas, and toppings on serving plates. Everyone can make their own taco.
This is an excerpt from The Skinnygirl Dish by Bethenny Frankel, available on Amazon.com.
Welcome back! Over the past few weeks, I have been answering your dating and relationship questions. I’ve loved sharing all of our relatio...READ MORE