Guilt-Free Artichoke and Spinach Dip
It’s never too early to start prepping for that Super Bowl party! Dips are everything and this recipe is a real crowd pleaser. Adding both the artichokes and spinach gives this dip its edge but feel free to leave one or the other out to make the recipe your own.
– 1 box or bag frozen artichokes (about 9 oz), defrosted and well drained
– 1 box or bag frozen spinach (about 9 oz), defrosted and liquid drained (using paper towel)
– 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (grate it yourself)
– 1/4 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
– 1/4 part skim ricotta cheese
– 1/2 container (8 oz) reduced-fat cream cheese
– 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
– 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 3/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon pepper
– 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
Makes: 6 servings
1. Defrost the vegetables in the refrigerator overnight, then drain them a colander in the sink or over a bowl. You can drain them together in the same colander because they’ll get mixed together anyway, and that makes fewer things to wash. After they are drained, press on them with paper towels to get rid of any extra moisture that would dilute the dip’s flavor.
2. Preheat the oven to 350. Combine all the ingredients except 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese into a large bowl or into a food processor. Blend or pulse until mostly smooth but leave some artichoke chunks for texture.
3. Pour the mixture into an oven-proof dish or casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through and just starting to bubble.
4. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve hot or warm with thin slices of baguette, raw vegetables, baked tortilla chips, or crackers.
There’s never a dull moment when Meredith Vieira and I get together. If you remember the last time I stopped by the show, things got real ...READ MORE