Comfort Turkey Meatloaf
Everyone loves comfort food but usually, it’s not the healthiest dinner option. Meatloaf is such a family-friendly meal and it should be able to be enjoyed without the guilt. I did a little tinkering with this classic recipe to make it more nutritious (but no less delicious!)
– 2 T olive oil
– 1/2 onion, chopped
– 1 stalk celery, chopped
– 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
– 1 tsp. minced garlic plus 1 tsp
– 1 tsp of each, chopped: thyme, rosemary
– 1/3 cup chopped parsley
– 2 egg whites
– 1.5 tsp. Dijon mustard
– 1/4 cup ketchup
– 2 T Worcestershire sauce
– 1/4 cup soy milk or low fat milk
– 2/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
– 2 lb. ground turkey meat
– 2 tsp. salt
– 2 tsp. black pepper
– 1/2 cup canned tomatoes, crushed or chopped
– Chopped parsley for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat oil and add onions, celery and bell pepper and cook until softened or caramelized (about 5 minutes).
3. Add 2 teaspoons garlic and the herbs and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
4. Cool the vegetable mixture and add the eggs, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and milk. Mix until combined. Add breadcrumbs, ground meat, salt and pepper, and mix only until incorporated.
5.Transfer to loaf pan and form. Pour tomato mixture over the top and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
6. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with fresh parsley.
Couldn’t have asked for a better way to kick off such an exciting week then by visiting the Today Show! After I fueled up with my fave Ski...READ MORE