Chickpea and Basil Salad
I love the flavors in Greek style dishes like this one. The red wine vinegar combined with the fresh basil and the flavorful olives hit my taste buds like WHOA.
This dish makes for a great healthy snack but it also pairs wonderfully with a grilled chicken breast or as a salad topper on a fresh bed of lettuce. You could also mix in some cooked quinoa for a protein packed lunch. There are just so many options!
For the Dressing:
– 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
– 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– 1 garlic clove, minced into a paste
– Small pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
– Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Salad:
– 2 28-ounce cans chickpeas (4 cups), drained and rinsed
– 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped small
– 1 very small red onion, finely chopped
– Small handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped
– 1/8 cup (about 10) fresh, high quality Kalamata olives, pitted, roughly chopped
1. In a small bowl, whisk together first 6 ingredients for the dressing and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, toss together remaining ingredients for the salad except for the olives. Pour the dressing into the bean and vegetable mixture and toss well. Gently fold in the black olives; over-mixing will cause the olives to color the remaining ingredients black, so make sure to add the olives last and toss gently.
I don’t consider myself vegan, but I do enjoy eating vegan dishes because most of the time, they are a lot healthier than traditional dish...READ MORE