Bethenny’s Healthier Cobb Salad
A Cobb salad is the best way to use up leftovers. If you love the Cobb salad taste and you want to lighten it up, try this recipe. It’s quick and easy when you’ve got leftover chicken and turkey bacon — and, of course, you can always make your own version, according to what leftovers you have; nothing says it absolutely has to be chicken and bacon. For the dressing, try a combination of ranch and vinaigrette.
– 6 hearts of romaine, chopped
– 1 small package turkey bacon (about 6 ounces) cooked in the microwave until crisp and crumbled
– Shredded white meat from a purchased 2-pound rotisserie chicken
– 2 pints pear tomatoes, halved or quartered
– 10 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
– 3 avocados, halved, pitted, scored into cubes, and removed with a spoon
– 5 hard-boiled egg whites, coarsely chopped
– 3/4 cup purchased low-fat ranch dressing or half low-fat ranch mixed with half light vinaigrette
Arrange the romaine on plates or on a serving platter. Arrange the salad ingredients in stripes over the lettuce, then drizzle the dressing in stripes over the top.
Use any of these variations, or mix and match them according to taste.
– Variation 1: Instead of romaine, try any crispy leafy salad green.
– Variation 2: Instead of turkey bacon, try chopped Canadian bacon, crumbled veggie bacon, chopped lean ham, smaller amount of regular bacon (about 4 ounces)
– Variation 3: Instead of chicken, try any chopped shredded, or cubed beef, poultry, shrimp, or tofu
– Variation 4: Instead of pear tomatoes, try any other kind or color of tomato.
– Variation 5: Instead of blue cheese, try any strongly flavored crumbled or shredded cheese.
– Variation 6: Instead of avocados, try 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts, or 1 cup sliced hearts of palm
– Variation 7: Instead of hard-boiled egg whites, try 1/2 cup crumbled extra-firm tofu.
– Variation 8: Instead of low-fat ranch mixed with light vinaigrette, try 1/2 cup low-fat ranch mixed with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper, and 1/4 cup water. Light vinaigrette only, try a drizzle of olive oil and fresh lemon juice seasoned with salt and pepper.
What determines whether someone is a good role model? You know, that person you are naturally drawn to when you need a boost of motivation, ...READ MORE