Baked Pumpkin Pasta
If you’re like me, pasta can get very boring, very quickly. Sometimes you need to switch things up in the kitchen. Trade that marinara for pumpkin and whip up this savory whole-wheat dish.
– 12 ounces uncooked whole-wheat penne pasta
– 2 tsp olive oil
– 1 medium onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
– 2 small zucchinis, halved lengthwise, then sliced
– 1/2 tsp dried thyme
– 1 tsp dried sage
– 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin
– 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
– 1/2 cup water reserved from pasta pot
– 1/2 cup shredded low-fat Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to directions on package, less 2 minutes, and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water when done.
3. Meanwhile heat oil in large skillet. Sauté onions and garlic for 5-6 minutes, until softened. Stir in zucchini and herbs, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
4. Stir in canned pumpkin and ricotta cheese.
5. Empty drained pasta plus 1/2 cup of reserved cooking water into skillet and mix well.
6. Spoon pasta into a 11 x 7 baking dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
This delicious recipe makes an excellent dinner, but you can also make it ahead (or double it) and have the leftovers for lunch the next day...READ MORE