Almond Green Beans
This recipe is really easy. If you don’t have fresh green beans, frozen are okay as long as they are very well defrosted and drained, but aren’t quite as good as fresh. Don’t used canned, though. They are just too mushy. Cook these until they are the texture you like. Just keep tasting.
– 1/4 cup silvered almonds
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 lb fresh green beans, tough ends trimmed (cut them off with a knife or just snap them off with your fingers)
– 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
– 3/4 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp pepper
– 1 tbsp salted butter (regular or non-dairy)
1. Toast the almonds in a nonstick pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until they start to turn golden brown and smell toasted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick pan on high heat. Add the beans lemon juice, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes, then turn down the heat to low. Cover the pan and continue to cook until the beans are steamed yet crispy, about 5 more minutes or a little longer, depending on the thickness of the beans.
3. Toss with butter, sprinkle with the crispy toasted almonds, and serve hot.
I’m not going to eat a pound of pasta in one sitting, but I love pasta and I eat it often. Whole grain pasta in a sensible serving size is...READ MORE