How to Get a Promotion
If you’ve been over looked for a promotion over and over again, consider making a few small changes that will make a huge difference in your career trajectory.
Here are some simple things you can do to get that corner office you’ve been eyeing.
1. Embrace the changes everyone else hates. Let’s face it no one likes change, but as scary as it may be, change brings about growth. Not only should you embrace new ways of doing things at work, you should be the one suggesting them.
2. Never be too passionate about your ideas. An idea is not your baby, it’s just an idea. Don’t be sensitive when someone doesn’t like your ideas, just accept the critique and move on to the next one.
3. Don’t Gossip or try to be a part of any cliques. Gossiping is never good, even if the person at the center of your little chat-session never finds out what you said, the co-worker(s) you gossip with will never trust you.
4. Don’t hold people accountable…help them. This one can be tricky, by no means should you throw accountability out the door completely, but once it has been established that someone who was accountable needs help fixing the problem, be the first to help them out.
5. Spend more time expanding skills and less time on short-term results. You should always be learning new things, picking your co-workers brains and cross-training where possible. Not only will it make you a more valuable resource, it will prepare you for your next big gig.
6. Find big problems and solve them. The ability to tackle problems is an invaluable skill, no matter what type of work you do. There are problems every where just waiting to be solved, identify one at your job and make it your goal to come up with a solution.
7. Learn to promote your projects. No one likes a bragger! However, there is nothing wrong with tooting your own horn from time to time. Be sure to pick and choose those moments wisely other wise people will think you’re full of yourself.
Have tips you want to share? Tell me in the comments below.