Diet Debate // 07.17.14 // 16 Comments

Diet Debate: Paleo or Paleo-No?

With a new diet book released practically every week, Bethenny loves having a "Diet Debate" to give you the information direct from experts, and let you decide what nutritional plan works best for your body and lifestyle.

In today's debate, Paleo expert, author and advocate Dr. Kellyann Petrucci is up against Dr. Felicia Stoler, an anti-Paleo registered dietitian and author.

Is the "Caveman Diet" right for you? Take a look and decide for yourself.

Comments

(Page 1 of 2) 12Older
Jon

This segment really ticked me off. Dr. Stoler was incredibly rude! This was a complete waste of time for arguing either side. I am more on the side of Paleo eating because it makes absolute sense to me. Go back to a state of more natural eating before we had foods that have been modified hundreds or even thousands of times over and highly processed. I encourage all readers to do some research on their own regarding the cholesterol and saturated fat myths. There are a huge number of doctors who are on-board with Paleo now and plenty of emerging research to back it up.

Debbie Sommers

Dr Stoler, you are an idiot! I was diagnosed with MS 3 years ago, in the beginning I was having a lot of pain, weakness, etc.
My neurologist suggested that i try the Paleo diet for 30 days. After the 2 weeks my symptoms were gone. I have never been healthier. I had previously followed Weight Watchers and could never get off the last 7lbs. I lost those 7lbs in the first 3 weeks and have never gained it back (it has been 3 years). I have never felt better. I do not miss the dairy and or the grains and sugar. I also had an allover body rash which is now gone and has never come back. Stop being so closed minded.
I have never been healthier, is is sustainable more so than any other diet.

Kristin

It seems that on every diet debate there is one expert that it overbearing and rude. I just watched two episodes in a row...the one with the Sugar Detox debate and the one with the Paleo diet debate. IMO, both of the rude "experts" were lacking in much information regarding how food truly affects our bodies. Someday they will be ashamed of how they acted on the show (maybe). It would be nice if the producers found people from both sides who are going to be respectful and not continually talk over the other person.

Adam

It was unfortunate that so much time was wasted giving attention to the idiot polygamist at the start of the show. Very little time remained for the nutritional discussion and in the absence of strict moderation one guest was allowed to constantly interrupt and talk over the other. This person appears incapable of discussing and debating facts. Rather, she threw around the usual rhetoric without ever having to defend her position. The entire segment was really a waste of everyone's time.

In my post below, I've addressed some of the many errors in the post by Ralph the Vegetarian. Now, I'd like to also touch on a few more points made during the show...

Performance Athletes: There are, in fact, many performance athletes who follow low carb diets and whole food based diets like Paleo. Some do so while in nutritional ketosis. For Stoler to claim otherwise is an outright lie - but it's also a straw man argument. No offence to the audience or those watching at home, but their nutritional needs don't compare to those of a performance athlete.

Vegans: True, they cannot adopt a true Paleo lifestyle because they generally rely on soy as one of their main sources of protein. So what? They have made a choice to follow a particular lifestyle and they have to live with the problems that may go along with it.

The "fad diet" concept: Just because one audience member thinks this is a fad and can't imagine going on a vacation without her precious bread is of no relevance...although it might explain why she had to lose 130 pounds in the first place. The whole point of Paleo is that if you're eating the correct foods, you can eat as much of them as you feel like. Your body has a wonderful mechanism that regulates hunger - but eating a diet of non-stop carbs and sugar and constantly riding the insulin roller-coaster can break that system. Metabolic syndrome, anyone? "Diets" that require suffering, counting calories, and food diaries are unnecessary torture and are unsustainable in the long term. A sustainable lifestyle is one that allows you to eat when your body is hungry. Low carb diets work that way by their very nature. If you're overweight, it isn't your fault and you can fix it without being miserable. Just stop listening to the advice that got you there in the first place.

Cooking as a form of processing: This is a poor word choice. Cooking is simply doing something outside the body that would otherwise be done inside the body, making the entire process more efficient. For most of our evolution we were omnivorous scavengers and would have eaten pretty much anything available, plant or animal. None of it would have been cooked. At some point we learned to control fire and discovered that it was very useful in food preparation. Beginning to break things down outside the body allowed us to get more out of our food with less wasted effort.

Meat: It seems to be common to misrepresent Paleo as stuffing your face with nothing but meat. Quite the opposite. Most people who follow this lifestyle eat a broad spectrum of different vegetables...more so than many vegetarians, who often rely on packaged foods and processed "fake meats" based on soy. Paleo people know that meat (and the included fat) is healthy, but that doesn't include processed meats or anything with long lists of ingredients. All those studies linking meat consumption with cancer fail to make that distinction. Typically, they also fail to control for other lifestyle factors. People who have been content ignoring their doctor's (bad) advice about eating meat are also likely to ignore their doctor's advice about other things - smoking, drinking, exercise, vegetables, etc. But we blame the meat for causing cancer, despite the fact that virtually every culture on the planet includes animal products in their diet. Some people following a Paleo lifestyle do eat a fair bit of meat, others barely eat any. There's nothing wrong with it but by no means is this an "all meat" diet.

Something is being done wrong in America. The pharmaceutical companies are making a fortune while the health care system is going bankrupt. People are getting fatter, sicker, and increasingly unhealthy. They're being kept alive to some impressive ages by modern medicine but their quality of life, particularly during their last couple of decades, is poor. This trend all lines up perfectly with the dietary advice to "eat more grains", "eat less fat", and "substitute animal fat for industrial seed oils."

Paleo is about going back before all those mistakes were made and trying again...

All this has been said before by folks much more knowledgeable than myself. I'll stop ranting and if anyone wants to learn more about this from the real experts I suggest Googling the following people: Mark Sisson, Chris Kresser, Robb Wolf, Denise Minger, Peter Attia, and the many other people they will undoubtedly mention.

Adam

My long comment was supposed to be a reply to Ralph's post down below...

Adam

Well, that was a gross misrepresentation of reality.

1. She did not make up the word "anti-nutrient". The terminology has been used for many years in nutritional circles. It is well understood that phytic acid (present in grains and legumes) binds to minerals making them unavailable to your body. This is the plant's defense mechanism - its genes evolved that way. There's no point eating your vitamins and minerals if you can't absorb them.

2. The common argument that "caveman lived for 40 years" is based on a poor understanding of statistical analysis. The mean is not always a useful representation of a population. In the absence of modern medicine deaths during childbirth would have been common. If 4 people live to 60 and just one child dies at birth then their mean (average) age of death is 48 - but nobody would characterize that population as having a life expectancy of 48...

We also must consider causes of death during the paleolithic era. Life was dangerous. Nobody sat in an office surfing chat forums. A broken bone would have been life-threatening and a major wound resulting in an infection would have been a guaranteed death sentence. As we learned to hunt there would certainly have been some unfortunate occurrences along the way!

3. At the time of the agricultural revolution life got safer and life expectancy rose accordingly. Human health declined. We became shorter, weaker, and our teeth began to decay. We now live for a very long time - but there's a quality of life issue that must be addressed. Spending the last 10-20 years of your life taking fistfuls of pills, insulin shots, waiting in doctor's offices, or lying in a bed is nothing to strive for. Whether I live to 75 or 100 is not important to me. Tying my own shoes to go for a walk on my last day is.

4. You have misrepresented the entire concept of evolutionary nutrition. The principle is that over 2.5 million years our genes became very well adapted to the food sources that were available to us at the time. We don't know every little detail about what was eaten but we can say with confidence that certain things were not eaten. Grains, legumes, refined sugar, dairy, were most certainly not on the menu. The last 10,000 years since the agricultural revolution represents about less than 1% of human evolution. We just haven't had enough time to adapt to these relatively new arrivals to the food scene. Paleo is a template. Strip away all of the things to which we are probably not very well adapted, give your body some time to heal itself, then try reintroducing things in a controlled manner to determine whether you tolerate them. Most people would be shocked at how they felt after just one month.

To threaten people with heart attacks at age 40 is irresponsible and dishonest. Grains do not protect you from heart disease. There are an ever-increasing number of studies stating the exact opposite. Recent analysis of the actual data collected by Ancel Keys (Diet-Heart Hypothesis) and T. Colin Campbell (China Study) has shown that if anything there is an inverse correlation between meat consumption and heart disease. There is, however, a positive correlation between carbohydrate consumption and heart disease. Oops, that's not what they set out to prove, is it? Anyone interested in learning more about that should look into the work of Denise Minger. Her recent book (Death By Food Pyramid) is also an essential read.

The low fat dogma is dead. I found it particularly funny that the rude guest, during one of her frequent interruptions, said something about saturated fat and clogged arteries. This firmly places her decades behind current nutritional science. I wonder if she also believes that dietary cholesterol affects serum cholesterol and that total cholesterol is a valid measure of health. I'm quite sure she can't explain the actual cause of high triglycerides (hint: it's those "heart-healthy whole grains" and sugar).

She also made a snide comment about a diet being good enough for you but not good enough for your child. Clearly she is unaware that nature has developed the perfect food for growing a healthy little person - breast milk - and contains a heck of a lot of saturated fat and cholesterol...

Norma Durgin

I have been following a Paleo style eating progam since November because of a hiatal hernia. My doctor recommended eliminating foods that cause inflammation or I'd have to have surgery. By doing so, I have lost 18 pounds so far. I don't miss bread but I do miss rice. I switched to brown rice only occasionally. I cut out sugar, caffeine, & processed foods. I eat a healthy diet of fresh or frozen fruit and vegetables, nuts, fish, chicken, eggs, beef & lamb. This is not a FAD, it's just healthy eating.

Dr. Kellyann Petrucci

What a pleasure it was to appear on the Bethanny show today!

As of fan of Bethanny's for years - appearing on the show was all the more exciting. The entire team behind the Bethanny show was exceptional and took such great care of their guests - and the audience was fantastic.

Now... The business of the debate. I enjoyed meeting Dr. Felicia Stoler, and swapping food philosophies with her... It really was so much fun - and my hope is that we provided an informative segment to everyone watching.

In the end, the winning debate is the one that resonates best with you!

Be well!
Dr Kellyann Petrucci

Gina Victorino

The issue about dairy. What the problem is cow dairy. It has government additives to it and nobody should drink it. But Almond, Coconut, Soy, are all milk. Coconut water itself is equal to human blood ans was used in Vietnam for transfusion when blood types ran low. The blond on the right seemed very argumentive and had nothing to back up herself help. all she dis was keep disagreeing and gave nothing of a positive with anything but her "opinion" I am just finishing writing a book called RETURNING TO THE GARDEN OF EDEN. By the way you eat it gives the tools to rid of diabetes, cancer, schizephrentic, obesity, reverse wrinkles, prevent wrinkles. and everything that breaks.

SonyaV

I agreed with some of what Dr. Stoler said but her rudeness threw me totally off. Did she ever do a debate in school? Before Dr. Petrucci could get one sentence out, she would cut in and take over, which makes me feel maybe she's not sure about what she believes. Allow someone to speak and then respond and make your point and people will hear you better. With that being said, I will say that carbs in my diet cause me huge problems. Whenever I eat carbs and sugar my ligaments in my legs feel as though they cannot stretch enough for me to even stand with my legs totally back. Wehn I stop eating them it goes away!

Megan

Wow. I believe Kellyann. My son has Crohn's disease, a horrible intestinal illness. He feels best when he eats Paleo foods and in reality, puts real foods first. I know dozens and dozens of people who eschew grains and glutens due to intestinal issues and feel so much better ... same with dairy! There are so many people who've gone on the Paleo diet or Kelly Ann's 30 Day diet and started feeling better overnight!! People who didn't sleep well, people who had intestinal problems, people with no energy. Bingo! It's what you eat and that's what Paleo is all about. Bethenny mentioned that cooking meat is a PROCESS. I think cavemen had fires, didn't they? Or maybe not. but the key is how are you cooking meat? Did Kellyann get a chance to share that there are rancid oils and oils out there that get rancid when heated? It's all in how you cook, what you cook and the portions. I was at a photo shoot the other day and the art director said pardon me for being tired but i'm on the fourth day of Paleo and a little out of it, although I feel great! She'd not had sugar in days. At first, that's tough, because your body is recalibrating and will eventually burn fat instead of surgar for energy! What can you possibly say that's bad about no sugar, no processed foods and no gluten/wheat? One more thing, maybe you should have Kellyann back to talk about post paleo diet lifestyles. Many people go on it for 30 days and then they need to create a lifestyle/diet that works for them; maybe they go 80 percent of the time or 70 percent. I'd love to know about that. Kellyann never had a chance to talk about vegans on paleo and where they can get protein, etc. or maybe I missed that part. Anyway, great show!! Oh, and I did read that Paleolithic folks did die at early age, but not from what they eat! There are scientific studies out and autopsies, etc. on bones found, etc. and guess what? They died from other illnesses, like predators, giving birth, etc. NOT from what they ate. She was constantly interrupted and I hope she comes back on the show and gets a chance to continue. It was a good show and got everyone thinking...P.S. HOw about bringing on some of the folks that followed her diet? That would be awesome!

Pam

I really stand behind a Paleo lifestyle and eating the traditional foods our genes need to be healthy. Way to go Dr. Kellyann! How can you argue against a diet based on nutrient dense - "whole" foods. It's the way to go -- Do your own research and get informed.

Pamela Carroll

Paleo is the way to go! It is a lifestyle not a diet. My family has been paleo for years and we have the labs to support the huge positive impact it has made on our health. when you realize food is medicine iit is not hard to stay away from food you know are inflammatory. I wish Dr Kellyann had more time to clarify the misconceptions and felt her counterpart was unprofessional when she stated " what are you smoking" Take it or leave it.. Personal choice... But for my family you can not argue with results

Jen

Thank you so much for the fabulous segment on Paleo! As a doctor, who utilizes Paleo nutrition in practice, I assure you that it gets amazing results and is highly researched. I also agree with Dr. Kellyann - Paleo is a lifestyle, not a "diet"

Tina M Palmer

my husband just told me your show won't be on much longer. I was so sad. I think you hit on so many of "today's" topic's. Living, health, dress and just plain fun. You interact with everyone so gracefully. You dress to the nine's (if only I had your bod) I listened to the questions you asked Brady (5 wives) I'm sorry but I have enough trouble with one husband. I would be bald if I have 5 of them. Raising children is a full time job. Not when it's convenient for Brady. A father needs to be able to sit on the floor and pay attention to that child, listen and learn. Yes learn. You learn so much from children it's amazing. I was blessed with 3 children, I lost my son 2 years ago, but I am blessed. I thank god each and every day for them How can Brady even remember their names, birthdays or school events? I will be very down on the day that I turn on channel 3 (Michigan) and find that you are no longer there. Best of luck in your next venture, Tina

(Page 1 of 2) 12Older