Naughty Dip Recipes Made Healthy
Dunking chips into high-fat dips over and over again like an automatic tennis ball machine is so tempting when there’s a spread of food at your 4th of July picnic, but making a healthy dip or two before the party begins is a smart way to get the taste you want without overdoing it.
Here are five of Bethenny’s favorite dip recipes for you to make for your barbecue:
1. Bethenny’s Party Guacamole
Makes: About 1 cup
Juice of 1/2 of a lime
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons white onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Mash the avocados until they reach a consistency you like. I like mine a bit chunky.
Mix in the lime juice, cilantro, and onion
Add salt and pepper to taste
QUICK TIP: When you buy avocados, they should be just a little bit soft (or not at all) and let them ripen at home. Stick them in a brown bag with a banana to speed up the process.
2. Guilt-Free Artichoke and Spinach Dip
Makes: 6 servings
1 box or bag frozen artichokes (about 9 oz), defrosted and well drained
1 box or bag frozen spinach (about 9 oz), defrosted and liquid drained (using paper towel)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (grate it yourself)
1/4 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
1/4 part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 container (8 oz) reduced-fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
1. Defrost the vegetables in the refrigerator overnight, then drain them a colander in the sink or over a bowl. You can drain them together in the same colander because they'll get mixed together anyway, and that makes fewer things to wash. After they are drained, press on them with paper towels to get rid of any extra moisture that would dilute the dip's flavor.
2. Preheat the oven to 350. Combine all the ingredients except 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese into a large bowl or into a food processor. Blend or pulse until mostly smooth but leave some artichoke chunks for texture.
3. Pour the mixture into an oven-proof dish or casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through and just starting to bubble.
4. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve hot or warm with thin slices of baguette, raw vegetables, baked tortilla chips, or crackers.
3. Lemon Basil Hummus Dip
Makes: 10 servings
1 can (about 15 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Whole wheat toasted crackers
1. Drain the chickpeas, reserving 1 tablespoon of liquid. Rinse the chickpeas with cold water and drain well in a colander.
2. Place the chickpeas, reserved liquid, basil, garlic, lemon juice, oil, black pepper, and soy sauce into a food processor. Cover and process until the mixture is smooth.
3. Serve with the wheat crackers for dipping.
4. Simply Irresistible Blue Cheese Dip
Makes: About 2 1/2 cups
8 oz reduced-fat vegetable cream cheese, softened
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
Place the cream cheese, sour cream, blue cheese, garlic powder, pepper, parsley, and dill in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until blended.
Sprinkle with additional parsley. Serve with pretzel thins for dipping.
5. Spicy Chipotle Dip
Makes: About 2 cups
16 oz reduced-fat chive-and-onion-flavored cream cheese
1/4 cup chipotle peppers, pureed
Juice from 1/2 fresh lime
Pepperidge Farm Baked Naturals Four Cheese Crisps
1. In a bowl mix the cream cheese, peppers, and lime together by hand, or puree with an immersion blender.
2. Serve with the Four Cheese Crisps.
Do you have a favorite dish you love to make but you know isn't exactly healthy? Send the recipe to us, and Bethenny will make it healthy on her new talk show, premiering September 9th! Find out where to watch in your area.