My Daily Makeup Routine: Eyeshadow, Eyeliner, and Mascara
Truth be told, I look better with no makeup, but as women, we feel like we need to wear something when we leave the house, so here’s what I like to do, eye shadow-wise. If you can rock that black, smoky eye, definitely work it!
Here are a few tips that work really well:
• Don’t be afraid to use color. Picking an eye shadow is like cooking: It’ll be different every day, so don’t freak out about choosing the perfect shade. Just pick something and change it up if you don’t end up loving it.
• Blow the extra eye shadow off of your brush before you apply it. After you’ve swept the matte shadow all over your lids, use a larger brush to blend it all in.
• You can blend a lighter, shimmery shadow into the inner corners of your eyelid to prevent the sunken “dead” eyes effect, but do what works best for you.
• If you don’t want to highlight the area under your eyebrows, you can sweep on a lighter brown shade there just for a little bit of color. That’s what I do.
• For eyeliner, I use a flat brush and a dark brown shade, but you might like a black eyeliner if you want a more striking look. Dab the liner on and create a line on the top, blending it into the lash line and into the eye shadow too. I only use a little bit on the bottom lid.
• I might use a cream crayon over the top liner just for fun, then I go over the whole thing with a little blending brush. It makes the whole look softer.
• Grab any lash curler — the one I use is $4.99 — and squeeze it for a few seconds on each set of eyelashes. If you want to take it to the next level, blast your curler with a hairdryer to warm it up, then curl. Warning: Do this at your own risk. Be careful! Then put on a mascara that you like — it doesn’t have to be expensive.
• Clean your makeup brushes. Try to do it every day if you can, using a wipe. I clean mine about once a week, but if you can get to it every two weeks, that’ll work.
Watch the sunscreen, foundation, concealer, and brows portion of my makeup routine — then come back next Wednesday to see the blush, highlighter, and lipstick part.
For great hints about how to spend less on beauty products, check out this segment from the test run of my talk show. All-new episodes will start airing September 9th!
What eye makeup product do you love? Let me know in the comments!