RECIPE: Classic Crab Cakes
Makes 12 large or 24 small crab cakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup small-diced red onion
- 1 ½ cups small-diced celery
- 1 ½ cups of each: small-diced red and yellow bell pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs (preferably panko)
- ¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise or soy mayonnaise (I like Nayonaise brand)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ pound (8 ounces) jumbo lump crabmeat, drained
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons store-bought pesto
- 2 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise (or soy mayonnaise)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion, celery, and bell peppers until soft. Season with Old Bay, salt, and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in the crabmeat to combine but don't over mix. The crabmeat should remain in large pieces. Combine ingredients from steps 1 and 2.
- Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and turn heat to medium. Scoop evenly-sized cakes into the pan using an ice cream scoop and sauté over medium heat until crispy on both sides.
- For the sauce, mix the pesto and mayonnaise together and season with salt pepper to taste
- Top each crab cake with tiny dab of sauce mixture. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
What are your favorite party snacks?